Meditation & Mindfulness
Mindfulness, Meditation, & Awareness...
Once your mindset changes, everything on the outside will change with it. The mind is a VERY powerful thing. What you THINK becomes what you DO and what you DO becomes who you ARE.
Before we take you through a QUICK guided meditation to practice mindfulness and awareness, listen to this 30-minute Podcast by Tim Ferriss on The Magic Of Mindfulness. In this episode, he shares his personal experiences, apps, tools, and best practices for cultivating “mindfulness,” which he will define.
Mindfulness through Body Awareness:
Let's practice a quick exercise in mindfulness and awareness. Take a moment to find a quiet place and sit comfortably in a chair or on a pillow.
- Start with a full-body scan from the crown of your head all the way to your toes and simply recognize the way you feel.
- Begin to bring your awareness to your breath. Take a deep, six-second breath in through your nose and exhale through your mouth for a six-count.
- Each time you inhale, bring your awareness to the tip of your head. Imagine squeezing it tightly, then letting go along as you exhale.
- Next, bring your attention to your eye sockets, squeeze, and release.
- Your ears - Squeeze - Release
- Your lips - Squeeze - Release
- Continue this exercise with every inch of your body all the way down to your toes.
- Once you have completed this exercise, take a few more releasing breaths and then gently open your eyes
- How do you feel in comparison to when you first scanned your body?
Now let's talk about the Power Of Visualization:
Visualization can be a very powerful tool. Many successful people use it to envision themselves succeeding before they actually succeed. This tool teaches the brain to see what the future could look like so that it becomes more than an idea. This is also referred to as vision casting.
Your brain cannot differentiate between real and synthetic (vividly imagined) experience. When you visualize something, your brain understands it as experience and you are more likely to believe it to be true! How crazy is that!?
Practice this visualization through a quick meditation and bring awareness to the mind...
After listening to the meditation, grab your workbook this is available in my Free 28 Days to Elevate challenge and take a moment to reflect on this quick exercise.
MEDITATIVE PRACTICE #1: Physical Awareness. Did focusing on isolated areas of your physical body help bring awareness to areas where you didn’t realize you were holding tension? What other areas in your life might you neglect from day to day? How can you bring more awareness to these areas?
MEDITATIVE PRACTICE #2: Visualization. How did taking your mind to another place make you feel? Was it easy for you to visualize? If your mind wandered, what was distracting you? Take some time to reflect on the challenges and successes of today’s practice.
BONUS RESOURCES: Apps to help you with mindfulness.
Not good at meditating on your own? Try these apps for some guided practice and support:
- Simply Habit
ESSENTIAL OILS TIP OF THE DAY
STARTER KIT SUGGESTIONS: Frankincense is one of the most common essential oils for meditative practice. Apply one drop on your forehead and the crown of your head, or diffuse it.
BONUS SUGGESTIONS: There are SO many options when choosing an essential oil for meditating. Find the one that most speaks to you and use it topically and aromatically when practicing mindful meditation. Some suggestions include:
- Present Time
- Highest potential